The aim is to answer the following main research questions for a case study on (smart) buildings and energy demand behavior in them:
- What user behavior patterns change over time?
- What differences are there in user behavior between different countries/regions?
- What kinds of user behavior groups exist?
- What data-driven methods can be used to predict energy demand based on user behavior?
- What are the (indirect) influencing factors on the energy demand of users?
- What role do technical and social innovations (e.g. demand response systems, photovoltaic, electric vehicles, innovative tariff strategies) play in influencing behavior patterns towards long-term societal goals, e.g. for energy system transformation?
These research questions will be answered by collecting unstructured data from several sources (e.g. open questions in socio-economic surveys, social media, technology reports, webpages, etc.) together with structured datasets (e.g. smart meter data, structured answers in socio-economic survey, climate data and other public databases).