Fraunhofer ISI awards outstanding achievements
At an award ceremony in Karlsruhe, several scientists were awarded the “Fraunhofer ISI Award 2018“ for their achievements. The external jury honored an outstanding doctoral thesis, excellent qualification as well as best project. The wide range of winning entries is characteristic of Fraunhofer ISI and its broad portfolio of research topics.
In a formal ceremony Professor Marion A. Weissenberger-Eibl, Director of the Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI, announced the winning contributions from the institute. The award-winning entries were selected by an external jury and awarded for the three categories “Excellent Qualification“, “Best Project“ and “Outstanding Doctoral Thesis“:
In the category “Excellent Qualification“ Vicki Duscha of the Competence Center Energy Policy and Energy Markets (CCX) received the award for “TALENTA speed up“, an exclusive funding program of the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft for attracting and developing outstanding scientists.
The award in the category “Best Project“ went to Thomas Reiß, Julia Beyersdorf, Annette Braun, Henning Döscher, Piret Fischer, Bärbel Hüsing, Christoph Neef, Ulrich Schmoch and Axel Thielmann of the Competence Center New Technologies (CCT) for the project “Technology and Innovation Roadmap within the Graphene Flagship“. The team, led by Thomas Reiß, analyzed the potential applications of the raw material graphene in more detail and developed the European Roadmap for the “Graphene Flagship“.
The third award in the category “Outstanding Doctoral Thesis“ went to Inga Boie of the Competence Center Energy Policy and Energy Markets (CCX) who completed an outstanding doctoral thesis on the topic “Determinants for the market diffusion of renewable energy technologies“.
Professor Marion A. Weissenberger-Eibl honored the social contribution of the outstanding research achievements in particular, “Scientific insights make a major contribution to social and economic developments and stimulate them - and they often arise from the personal commitment of individual researchers or together in a team. We have honored this commitment and the special achievements with the Fraunhofer ISI Award 2018.“
The external jury was composed of:
- Dr. Heike Hanagarth, (Senator of the Helmholtz Association for “Aeronautics, Space and Transport“),
- Dr. Annett Holzheid (Center for Art and Media Technology, Karlsruhe),
- Dr. Kirsten Witte (Director of LebensWerte Kommune, Bertelsmann Foundation),
- Dr. Andreas Fier (Head of Academic Relations, Deutsche Telekom AG),
- Prof. Dr. Alfred Nordmann (Institute of Philosophy, Technische Universität Darmstadt),
- Prof. Dr. Martin Patel (Chair of Energy Efficiency, University of Geneva),
- Maximilian Schönherr (c’t and Deutschlandfunk) and
- Andreas Renner (Head of the Department of Politics, Economics and Society, EnBW Energie).