- Studied Mechanical Engineering at the RWTH Aachen University (German Vordiplom) and Chemical Engineering (Food Process Engineering) at the University of Karlsruhe.
- Has been working on and off since 1978 as a research associate/freelancer at the Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI, main areas: Required research and development as well as organizational and technical possibilities of energy efficiency and emissions reduction.
- 2001 to 2006, research associate at Baden-Wuerttemberg‘s State Institute for the Environment, Measurement and Nature Conservation, main field: Air quality, climate and environmentally-acceptable transport development.
- 2007 to 2009, research associate at the Institute for Technology Assessment and Systems Analysis (Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe), main focus: Roadmap Environmental technologies 2020.
- Since April 2009 research associate in the Competence Center Energy Policy and Energy Systems at the Fraunhofer ISI, since January 2012 in the Competence Center Energy Technology and Energy Systems, main field: Energy efficiency networks.