Fraunhofer Institute for
Systems and Innovation Research ISI
FET Open: Boosting the exploratory power of open research in Future and Emerging Technologies (FET)
This study deals with the future of Open Collaborative Research in Europe. "Open collaborative" research is defined as research that is risky, potentially transformative, foundational, bottom-up, interdisciplinary, technology driven, and collaborative. The main findings of the study are as follows:
- Societal and economic challenges require new models of research.
- The internal dynamics of science requires a fast and collaborative approach to research.
- Existing thematic (top-down) programmes are too slow and too narrow to respond to these societal, economic and scientific challenges. Thus, the Open Collaborative Reserach model will become more prominent in the future.
- Fostering the Open Collaborative mode of doing reserach in Europe requires a firm decision for a centralised approach. Embedding many small Open Collaborative Research programmes into existing programme lines will not generate the required effects.
|What is Open Collaborative Research?||What it is not:|
FET Open today
The FET Open programme of the European Commission is positioned as 'the incubator for radically new research ideas and future research and innovation potential' (http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/fet-open/home_en.html). FET Open aims to stimulate and capture new opportunities and developments in science and technology as they emerge. FET Open:
- Is open to any new ideas, it is bottom-up with no predefined themes
Vision: The future of Open Collaborative Research in Europe
Summary Paper (30 pages)
Comparison of responses to desired and current situation.
1 = 'not at all' to 5 = 'very much'; the others are in-between